Wednesday, 18 July 2007

The Proposition

Director: John Hillcoat (To Have and To Hold)
Cast: Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Emily Watson, Richard Wilson, Danny Huston, John Hurt
Australia/UK , 2005

Seen: Aug 20, 2006 at The Bloor Cinema

Reason to see: Screenplay written by Nick Cave. I am on my second attempting my #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is week 7/52.

I think I shoulda known what I was getting into but alas, I did not. Nick Cave wrote the screenplay and I'm a huge fan of his music - which maybe surprizing to some whom mostly know me as a pretty happy-go-lucky person and his music is pretty... dark. The violence in this film was so prominent and so grisly that I still can't distance myself from it to think about the film as a film as a whole. What has stuck with me are those grisly images and the horrific events in the film. I'm not sure what the intent was for this film. The only thing I can think of is it feels a little bit like an anti-revenge movie. Strangely, I don't regret seeing it as I often do with things this violent. I'm still processing it I suppose, still searching for meaning. I hope it's there. I can say without a doubt that both the music and acting were great.

Shannon's Overall View:
I don't think I enjoyed it
I would not watch it again
Who would recommend it to.... people who like westerns and don't mind things listed in the warnings...

Warnings: Extreme violence including mutilation, torture, sexual violence and very disturbing images.

No previews
No commericals
The film started exactly on time... Rock on.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

1 comment:

Rusty James said...

This is an acid western not a spaghetti western and as such I wouldn't recommend it to a western fan per se, unless your favorite western is Dead Man.
I think what really bothers people about this film isn't necessarily its violence (all it's brutal) but rather its nihlism which makes violence seem so much worse. But the movie achieves some kind of stark beauty via it's uncompromising bleakness.

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012