Wednesday, 3 October 2007

Brick

Dir/Writer: Rian Johnson (Evil Demon Goofball from Hell!!!)
Cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lukas Haas, Nora Zehetner, Matt O’Leary, Noah Segan, Emilie de Ravin
USA, 2006

Seen: March 1, 2007 thanks to TMN

Reason to see: Curiousity, looked either smart or pretentious.

I was happily surprized after watching this film. The acting is excellent, the dialogue is fantastic and the plot is solid. I wouldn’t say it’s a scary movie per se but I would consider it a thriller, almost even film noir although it appears to be often classified as a drama. It feels like what Heathers was for previous generations, but omitting the Omigod! lines played in 100% straight faced with cryptically created dialogue. Brick is not an easy film to watch, there is a fair share of violence, disturbing ideas and high schooler’s doing things most people wouldn’t want to think they could do. When you add those things with the creative language I think it can be interpreted as pretentious, however I thought it worked perfectly as it never broke the world it created and each character rang true.

If you, like I, had moments of where do I know them from? The character Emily is Emilie de Ravin who played Tess in the TV Series “Roswell” and in lead character played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt was the sweet Cameron from 10 Things I Hate About You, and I would have to say that his stellar performance here really puts him on the chart of one to watch.

Warning: Violence

Shannon's Overall View:
I thought it was very good
I’d watch it again
I recommend it, but note the warning of violence

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007

1 comment:

Bob Turnbull said...

And how about Lukas Haas (the little boy in Witness) playing The Pin. Yipes!

Yeah, Brick is an excellent film and one of my favourites of that year. Joseph Gordon-Leviit really impressed me here and with this, 10 Things I Know About You and the recent The Lookout, he's set himself up well for the future.

I still remember him from the TV series Third Rock From The Sun (with John Lithgow).

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012