Wednesday, 28 November 2007

The Treasure of Sierra Madre

Dir: John Huston (The African Queen, Across the Pacific, The Maltese Falcon)
Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, Walter Huston
USA, 1948

Seen: November 24, 2007 thanks to Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: For Western month as it is one of 'the' best westerns on multiple lists, won 3 Oscars (directing & writing: John Huston and supporting actor: Walter Huston)

I'm surprized to say this one did not rank really high for me, after seeing it on so many list's not just as a western but a film in general I'd have to say it fell short of my expectations. It's a different kind of western than the one's I've been watching lately. Almost the entire film is confined to the three main characters and is situated on the land, not in a town. They are all down on their luck and looking to strike it rich with gold. For me, that is where I became less interested. There is a certain need, want and desire that is associated with wealth that I do not fine compelling. Many people consider such things as a exploration of human nature and I usually find it shows us a darker side that I would rather not see, and sometimes I don't believe. All in all, it does have a solid story with amazing acting (especially Tim Holt and Walter Huston), and I tried to appreciate it on that level but in general I found it a little depressing.

At long last to know where this quote came from:
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Oddity:
There were no subtitles for the spoken Spanish throughout the film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I thought it was a solid film, however I didn't overly enjoy it
I'd not likely watch it again
I'd recommend it to classics and western fans

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

That's where that saying comes from! OMG, after all those years! We know it from UHF thought right? *eyes rolling* LOL, not an impressive admission. I don't know this movie at all but you're right, if you don't relate to that obsession it would be hard to stay interested.

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012