Monday, 21 January 2008

Persepolis

Writers/Dirs: Marjane Satrapi & Vincent Paronnaud - feature film directorial debuts
Voices: Chiara Mastroianni, Catherine Deneuve, Danielle Darrieux, Simon Abkarian
France/USA, 2008

Seen:
January/08 at the Varsity

Reason to see: Critical acclaim, and I was intrigued by the story and animation style

This is one film that has received such across the board acclaim I was wondering if I would feel the same and I have to admit I do. There is an amazing sense of wonder and optimism in a film with a predominate setting of revolution and war. The story is that of the coming of age of outspoken punk-loving Marjane, who is based on the directors own experiences and we feel that personal connection throughout. There is a wonderful blend of big scale events as well as simple moments of daily life. The animation style is beautiful in its expressive simplicity. It is quite a treat to see hand drawn animation in such a CGI world.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it it
I'd watch it
I recommend it

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

2 minutes of preshow including 2 commercials and 2 previews : How She Move and The Band's Visit / Bikur Ha-Tizmoret. Both look good for completely different reasons.

3 comments:

Marina said...

Woohoo! Happy to hear you enjoyed it!

Curious, was this the original French with English subtitles or the dubbed version?

Also, I'm really curious about How She Move...if only because it's Canadian.

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

It was indeed the original French with subtitles (which I so prefer to dubbed).

I can't wait to see How She Move! Canadian Dance movie - score!!

Nayana Anthony said...

I also much prefer subtitles to dubbed movies. I feel that if you dub over an actor's voice (ESPECIALLY in an animated movie), you lose so much of the original performance.

I agree with you in general about Persepolis... you can't call it "delightful", even though there were moments of true delight in it.

PS love your blog! :-)

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012