Monday, 11 February 2008

The Big Lebowski

Dir: Joel Coen (No Country for Old Men, Fargo, Barton Fink)
Cast: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore, David Huddleston
USA/UK, 1998

Seen: February 2, 2008 thanks to the Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: General critical acclaim, renewed buzz after the release of No Country for Old Men and it really is just one of those films everyone talks about

This is a Non-Review, as I turned the film off 20 minutes in.

I will say that I did get a sense of cleverness in this film, mostly in the dialogue and going for the unexpected at moments but overall I couldn't see it though. Mean people, intimidation, gender crap... are all out in full force. It isn't for me.

Shannon's Overall View:
Of what I did see, I didn't like
I'd not watch it again
I'd not recommend it

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

4 comments:

Polly said...

Oh, I'm so sorry it turned you off (and you turned it off)! There are some incredible scenes/conversations in the second half of the film. And classic quotes that endure for all time:

"The Dude Abides"
and
"This doesn't concern you Donny!"

Bob Turnbull said...

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

"This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

I guess the Coens certainly aren't everybody's cup 'o sarsaparilla...

If you ever get a chance to watch it again, you might find yourself warming to The Dude. The peeing incident is done by numbskull tough guys who aren't major characters and of course leads to the quotable "that rug really tied the room together". It also allows for the likely only usage of the word "micturated" that you'll ever hear in a screenplay.

But I hear ya though...You occasionally run into a film that, for whatever reason, sours on you early and you just can't recover.

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I had zero expectations of actually like this film, but I was up for the challenge and it just didn't work for me.

I can see it's highly quotable nature which in the case has certainly lead to a larger-than-cult following. I also get why people like 'The Dude' and in some ways reminds me of Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty. He tells it like it is, he doesn't get intimidated and is always as cool as a cucumber. But, he also doesn't seem to care much about anything, which doesn't work for me.

Bob Turnbull said...

> But, he also doesn't seem to care much about anything

Nah, that's the nihilists. They show up later in the film (one of them played by Aimee mann actually!).

The Dude does indeed care about some thing though: A carpet that ties a room together, a good White Russian, bowling...You know - life's essentials. B-)

I'm not trying to convince you though...

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012