Monday, 4 February 2008

Oh Happy Day!

Photobucket

Every February I look forward to this day, the day which I get to pick up the Film Review Year in Review Yearbook. I first got this back in 2001 (is that long enough ago to even say 'back in'?), when I was seriously getting into film due to taking a GenEd Film class while studying fashion. I missed the 2005 issue (grr!!), but otherwise have all issues since then and plan on always getting them.

It's a magazine from the UK, so the release dates are completely different than here in Canada, which is one reason I like to get the issues in succession. I also love that it doesn't feel the need to bow down to Hollywood films and says what is what. It goes without saying that it is a great resource for UK films. Out of all the reviews, I often add their 5/5 reviews to the every growing 'must see list'. There were only 27 5/5 reviews (excluding re-releases) so I think I'll consider picking out some of the 4/5's this year.It is also a great resource to hear about films that haven't gotten a lot of coverage here, this issue had 113 films I've never heard of which floored me considering I write about new releases every week!

It's one of the best days there is, I love to read though the reviews with tea and highlighter in hand, plotting and planning and listing away!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Marina said...

I didn't even know this EXISTED! I'll be making a pit stop by the local bookstore to look for it. I have a feeling I may have to dig a bit deeper than that though...

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I normally get it at Chapters (there is a big one right beside a multiplex), but this year I got it at Indigo.

I've never seen more then 3 copies at a location. I hope you find it!

Sacred Suzie said...

Little gems like this can bring such joy. I recently got a catalog for Fire Mountain Gems, a jewellery-makers supply catalog and had so much fun going through it! Whatever makes us happy, right?

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Exactly Suzie!

Piper said...

Where would film lovers be without the UK.

I used to buy the film magazine Hotdog every month and loved flipping through it. I think it has been discontinued and now I get Empire in its place.

I'm going to have to pick this up though. Looks great.

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012