Monday, 11 February 2008

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ...and Spring / Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom

Writer/Dir: Ki-duk Kim (Bin-jip / 3-Iron, Hae anseon / The Coast Guard)
Cast: Yeong-su Oh, Ki-duk Kim, Young-min Kim, Yeo-jin Ha, Jae-kyeong Seo
South Korea/Germany, 2003

Seen: February 2, 2008 thanks to the Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: critical acclaim

It's not very often I see a film and immediately want to see everything the director has done, and this is one of those times. Gentle pacing paired with stunning visuals bring this film to be more than just a simple viewing experience but an experience in it of itself. A personal journey that isn't always easy to watch but always feels like it is getting closer and closer to the truth. This is a gem of a film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll buy it
I highly recommend it

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008


Bob Turnbull said...

The first Kim Ki-Duk film I saw was "3-Iron" and I felt the same as you...I wanted to see the rest of his stuff. So I saw 7 of his films within a month (and two more since) and every single one of them except for the recent "Time" had at least one character that was mute for all or part of the film...Not all of them have worked completely well for me, but there's always something of interest going on - and it usually isn't in the narrative.

I think "3-Iron" would be the next best place to go. It's my favourite of his so far. "Samaritan Girl" was also quite good, but it (along with pretty much every one of the other films I've seen by him) certainly has a few disturbing moments. "Bad Guy" and "The Isle" in particular have a few moments that might throw you for a loop...

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Wow, you found 7 of his films? Amazing! 3-Iron is definitely next on my list.

"there's always something of interest going on - and it usually isn't in the narrative."

Sounds perfect :)

I think initially when I heard of his films, the disturbing aspect was what was played up and therefore I shied away, but if it continues in a similar vein to this one, the payoff is worth it and the disturbing parts aren't glorified, but part of the film as a whole.

Bob Turnbull said...

Actually I found 9 in all of his films ("The Bow" and "Time" have followed after that initial 7 film burst). Both of those are interesting as well, but didn't completely envelop me in either their immediate stories nor the larger issues they were trying to get at.

"Address Unknown" is another that is readily available, but I have yet to see. It's pretty impressive that a Korean director of small art films has 10 Region 1 releases to choose from...

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012