Tuesday, 6 May 2008

Iron Man

Dir: Jon Favreau (Zathura, Elf, Made)
Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Leslie Bibb
USA, 2008

Seen: May 5/08 at Varsity

Reason to see: Across the board good reviews and I wanted to see it before I heard all about it.

I'm mystified at the large number of good reviews for Iron Man. Sure, it has action, explosions, gadgets and great production design but that isn't all there is to a film - even an action film. I was disappointed in the simplicity of the plot and the blinders the audience is required to put on with reference to generalized 'bad guys' of non-specified descent. This creates an environment that allows for an almost subversive pro-Americana story which succeeds (in terms of audience reaction) where many current war films fail. I will say that Robert Downey Jr. is excellent in the film and an interesting albeit arrogant protagonist but it is too bad that the rest of the characters, especially the women, were not as flushed out.

Also: at least 4 product placements. Bleh.

Shannon's Overall View:
I didn't really enjoy it
I'll watch it again, on cable or tv
I'd recommend it as a brainless action flick

13 minutes of preshow including 4 commercial and 5 previews: The Love Guru, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, You Don't Mess with the Zohan, The Dark Knight and The Incredible Hulk

I had to divert my eyes from so many of the previews because I didn't want to see spoilers! An action packed summer is ahead of us.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

8 comments:

nancy (aka money coach) said...

So I'm one of the two-thumbs-up people (btw, did you stay through the credits?). You may be underestimating the RDJ factor :)

And, Yeah, the plot wasn't particularly strong but to me the movie *felt* like a comic strip and that's what (and all) I was looking for.
Not sure I agree re: pro-american. I thought it took a mighty (and over the top) swipe at arms manufacturers and poked fun of their rhetoric.
I wouldn't see it twice, but glad I saw it on the big screen, and don't regret a dime.

Sacred Suzie said...

I'm not at all surprised that it's a pro-U.S. film and hope it doesn't get too much in the way of me enjoying it. From what I understand it is supposed to have that war reference to it and when that happens, the over-the-top patriotism starts to blossom.

I'm sorry you didn't like it too much Shannon. That often happens to me when a movie is hyped too much so I'm keeping my expectations low.

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Yep, I stayed through the credits - actually the box office staff even mentioned to stay. I always watch the credits.

RDJ is one of the few things I am giving the film credit for. Good casting & performance.

Suzie, I hope you like it! My expectations were pretty low to begin with, it's not even one of my fave superheroes. Overall people are seeming to love it but it does not resonate with me at all.

The Mad Hatter said...

I too was one of those two-thumbs-up people, and actually would land it somewhere in my top five comic book movies I've ever seen.

It has holes though, but I think the little kid in me was just too distracted by all the daring do to really let it sink my opinion of the movie. Though I'm with you on the product placement - the BK one was especially distracting.

Quick question though - you watched it on Monday. D'you think that all the positive reviews and the $100M box office built it up too much for you?

Just curious because sometimes when people tell me "It's SO good" too many times, I see it and wonder what the fuss was about (SUPERBAD comes to mind).

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I don't think I had high expectations and the box office revenue didn't sway my opinion but the glowing reviews likely bumped up expectations a bit.

_ram-jaane' said...

I enjoyed it (as you know) ... some flaws have come to me now that I recollect the show, but I was distracted enough at the time like many others. When they achieve that, I feel they've done a good job.

As for fleshing out the women characters?? Seriously? It's Iron Man ;) lol

Marina said...

@Ram - dude. You know better! :) Just because it's a "boy" movie doesn't mean the girls can't get some love - though I will admit the fact that there wasn't a lot of female characters worth noting didn't really phase me. That said, I still had a good time and agreed, would see it again but I was mostly, as I've said before, indifferent. I had fun but it didn't blow my mind or anything.

Though RDJ was very close to doing that on his own....

Rachel said...

I saw it on the midnight sneak preview last Thursday night. I was completely oblivious of the comic book "Iron Man" is based on. I'm not much for superhero films but I really, really liked this. Obviously when you have fine actors like Robert Downey Jr it helps. I felt like is wise to focus on Tony Stark's character development. Yes, some of the others were not that flushed out. I would like to get more of Pepper Potts in a sequel. Steering away from those junky big CGI action sequences (that Hulk trailer was pathetic) and focusing on the character arc was a wise choice by Favreau, I think.

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012