Monday, 2 June 2008


Dir: Sergei Bodrov (Bear's Kiss)
Cast: Tadanobu Asano, Khulan Chuluun, Honglei Sun
Germany/Kazakhstan/Russia/Mongolia, 2008

Seen: September 10, 2007 at TIFF 07

Reason to See: How often do you get to see a co-pro from Germany/Kazakhstan/Russia/Mongolia? Add to that epic historical? I’m there.

Gorgeous landscapes and an epic production in this 12th century period piece about the quest for change of the Mongols. It is a grand tale of enemies and allies with many action and fighting sequences. Pretty impressive. Thrilling performance by Tadanobu Asano at Temudjin.

This is also a film that kept me thinking well past the first viewing as it has many thought provoking issues involving power, responsibility, social dynamics and the right to choose.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'll buy it
I recommend it

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007


Sacred Suzie said...

Woohoo! This is one we wanted to see, R just loved the look of it right away as well as the subject matter. I'm so glad you liked it!

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I'm sure you two will love this one! I hope it comes out near you, current release date is very soon.

Minas said...

I'm waiting for this movie and feel that it's going to be pretty cool. I've never watched movies about Genghis Khan.

Sacred Suzie said...

We actually got to see it Shannon! It was at a downtown theatre and we went to it on one of our holiday days and LOVED it! Gorgeous movie, a tad brutal but very interesting. I wonder if they will make a part two?

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I hope it releases somewhere near you Minas!

Suzie that is awesome you got to see it! From what I understand they are actually making a trilogy for the films so there should be more to come!

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012