Monday, 14 July 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Writer/Dir: Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Blade II, The Devil's Backbone, Chronos)
Cast: Ron Pearlman, Selma Blair, Doug Jones, Luke Goss, Anna Walton, Jeffrey Tambor, Seth MacFarlane
USA, 2008

Seen: July 11., 2008 at the Varsity

Reason to see: Loved the first film

I was really looking forward to seeing Hellboy II: The Golden Army. In terms of wide releases for films this summer, the only other film that comes close in terms of excitement is X-Files I Want to Believe. That said, I wanted to believe in Hellboy II, but I found it fell short too many times. I was a huge fan of the first film with its quirky humour, charismatic performances and fascinating world in which it was set. Technically this sequel has all of those things but I just wasn't feeling the love. First off, I wanted more Hellboy! Although I loved some of the new characters and old favourites like Abe, Red gets far less screen time then you'd expect. I was also very surprized at how, shall we say, 'familiar' the back story was, to the point at which I was having trouble keeping the giggles in. I was disappointed with the choices made with the development of some of the characters, especially Liz. Overall, you have to give props to the fact that it was visually stunning and it did wrestles with interesting questions but I felt it lost a little heart.

Shannon's Overall View:
I didn't love it, but I wanted to
I'd watch it again and likely buy it
I'd recommend it as a fun action movie

12 minutes of preshow including zero commercials (yay!) and 5 previews: Star Wars: Clone Wars, Babylon AD, Eagle Eye, Death Race and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

7 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

As soon as I saw the preview for this one I was worried all the many characters were going to take attention and the "specialness" from Hellboy and it sounds like I was right. Bummer! He's the movie for me. I don't really care about anyone else. Thanks for the review, now I can prepare myself and hopefully enjoy it in another way.

The Mad Hatter said...

This one for me was worth it just to see all the new creatures that they came up with for this sequel...

...I mean how cool was the Angel of Death? Not to mention those Tooth Fairies??

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Lots of the new creatures were cool, but it made me realize I didn't remember the setting of the world in terms of creatures so I kept second guessing whether or not it was logical that they were there in such force.

Creatures aren't everything though, I wanted more wit, more fun and more content.

Farzan said...

Good review. Will check it out soon. Nice blog, keep up the good work

patrick said...

Hellboy is dependably fun; for sure that director has an amazing imagination, reminds me of his work in Pan's Labyrinth

Sacred Suzie said...

We saw it last night. I agree about the issues with Liz, she seemed so weak this time and the choice they made...didn't like that one bit.

He was wonderful as usual!

For me the "bad" guys were very sympathetic in a lot of ways which I wasn't expecting. But then I've never been fond of the human race.

I did enjoy it but there were weird choices in music and editing that threw me off completely. Doesn't compare to the first but I adored every scene with HB.

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

"But then I've never been fond of the human race."

Great comment Suzie!

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012