Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Impressive Selection at the AMC

I headed out to the AMC at Yonge & Dundas this weekend to catch a flick. Not an interesting story in it of itself but when I got there I realized why I end up at the theatre so often. I love the huge theatres at Scotiabank (but not the name, ugh) and the CanCon & Foreign films at the Carlton but I keep coming back to the AMC. Location is great and the selection is good there, but this particular set of posters blew me away:


Slumdog Millionaire - sure, it's an Oscar winner now but it's been there since release
Hansel and Gretel - South Korean fantastical horror drama
Hank and Mike - Canada/US dark comedy about out of work Easter Bunnies (in full costume)
Fanboys - Friend-quest to see Star Wars Episode I
Anvil! The Story of Anvil - Documentary on the resisilient Toronto metal band
Adventureland - 1987 set summer at a themepark/coming of age/drama-romance

Um.. can we collectively say that selection ROCKS? Yes. Yes we can.


Trista DeVries said...

Yeah, I can get on board with 'this rocks'. When this theatre first opened I didn't want to go there because of its location and potential crowds, but every experience I've had there has been excellent. What keeps me going back though, you're right, is the consistently excellent line up.

When I first heard that they do a 'share' with the Scotiabank for blockbusters (meaning only one of them will have the movie you want to see so that the customer doesn't have to choose a brand, therefore there's no genuine competition) I was pretty ticked off. But that's opened them up for better more interesting movie choices. Oh... and morning movies.

Suzie the Foodie said...

That is really amazing! The AMC in Ottawa when I lived there was pretty mainstream, I wonder if it's done a major overhaul and taken on the international movie scene which would rock. Wish we had one here on the east coast!

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I had no idea they were doing a 'share' technique with the big films - but I did notice that those films really only played at one or the other. I think it kind of works out (but that is also tailored by both of those locations are convenient for me!)

They do also play a lot of mainstream films, but with 24 Theatres it's nice to see that they also have the space for limited runs, indie films as well as Canadian and foreign. It's also one of the few downtown locations that plays any Bollywood films.

Bob Turnbull said...

I saw that exact grouping of posters when I was there Sunday night (went to see "Adventureland") and I also though "that's pretty cool...". The poster for "Hank and Mike" doesn't really appeal to me, but it was nice to see an ad for a movie I didn't know anything about and didn't look like it was being pushed through by the bigger studios. I loved seeing "Hansel and Gretel" right above "Anvil".

And I believe Evokative will also be showing "Adrift In Tokyo" at the AMC as well when it comes around in a few weeks.

Stephanie @ Evokative said...

Yes, I was already a fan of the AMC in Montreal for years, but since I'm in business it has been great working with the AMC. They're opened to International cinema and a pleasure to work with, which certainly isn't always the case in this industry.
And indeed ADRIFT IN TOKYO will be playing at the AMC Yonge & Dundas from May 1st!

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012