Monday, 7 September 2009

Week in Film Vlog


Films Discussed
In Theatres: Gamer
Random Watching: The Things We Lost in the Fire, The Haunting of Molly Hartley
Vampire Films: Angels of the Night, The Night Flier, Blood & Donuts

Actors mentioned from The Haunting of Molly Hartley: Chace Crawford (as Joseph) and the similarity between Jake Weber and Tim Roth (click through for image).

Random mentioning: Crank, Non-Reviews, After the Wedding / Efter brylluppet

Make sure to check out Vampathon: Vampire Film Marathon


Univarn said...

Good vlog this week, agree with pretty much everything you said that I've seen. It seems to me that there's a growing section of R-rated films directed towards horny teens/early-20s that insanely abuse TnA. I just have no desire to see Gamer, I got dragged to Crank 2, kicking and screaming like a 3 year old. Be glad you're not going to watch it.

When it comes to understanding the general gaming community in film, I don't think it'll ever happen. In Hollywood it's been boiled down to one of two things: heavily pimpled 13 year olds whose only desires involved massive violence. A shame really, I've been playing games of all types since I was 8... never once wanted to kill anyone (though I did have pimples as a teen).

Kurt Halfyard said...

I have a soft spot for Blood & Donuts which I've not seen in over 10 years.

But Night Flier is terrible except for its hilarious tagline "Evil has a flight-plan!" one of the greatest silliest images ever of pure evil checking out those Plasma TVs looking for his connecting flight. Awesome!

Suzie the Foodie said...

I gotta thank you from saving me from having to look at t&a in Gamer, I would have walked out for sure and you're right, there was nothing about it in the trailer.

I really thought the The Haunting of Molly... was made for TV, it felt very low budget and not super professional. I didn't hate it either, it just didn't do anything for me and definitely did not scare me.

We stumbled across Blood & Donuts via one of the movie networks too and loved it. I wonder why people are OK with that title but not Blood & Chocolate?! Either way, I loved both movies.

Love the vlog Shannon!

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

It's odd that Gamer kind of address the oversaturation of T&A although I don't think it is in any way 'commenting' on it.

I've seen some pretty good representations of Gaming in documentaries, notably Second Skin and Another Perfect World but I would love to see it from the perspective of a gamer - someone who 'gets' the community aspect of games or at least MMORPGs & RPGs.

The Night Flier truly was a challenge to get through. I'm slightly mystified that I found it on a best vamp films list.

Blood & Donuts review will be up tomorrow! Kurt, I found a copy on but it is (sigh) Full Screen.

Molly Hartley did feel kinda made for TV - I find that feel really reads through when there is such a focus on 1 person with very few people around them. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Suzie you would have HATED Gamer. I mean like steam rising from the ears hated. Glad I saved ya from it!

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012