Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Fave Vamps / Pop Culture Vamps

My Cineplex recently placed their Top 10 Pop Culture Vamps. Curious to who they picked? So was I! This is their list (or click through to visit their site & see images of the vamps themselves!):

10. Eli - Let the Right One In
9. Selene - Underworld
8. Barnabas Collins - Dark Shadows
7. Edward Cullen - The Twilight Saga
6. Eric & Bill - True Blood
5. David - The Lost Boys
4. Count Orlok - Nosferatu
3. Angel and Spike - Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel
2. Lestat - Interview with a Vampire (novel & 1st film noted)
1. Dracula

Interesting choices. I have to agree with Selene from Underworld, especially since she made my favourite characters list, and I'm a big fan of many of the TV vamps like Eric, Angel and Spike and of course the original Dracula. What makes a vamp hit a fave list though? Do they embrace or resist their vampiric tendancies? Are they seducers? Are they saviours? Or are the bad ass?

Some of my favourite vampires are Darla from Buffy/Angel, Godric from True Blood, Victoria in The Twilight Saga, Kostya and his father in Night Watch / Nochnoi Dozor, Boya from Blood & Donuts and Damon from Vampire Diaries.

Who are your favourite vampires?

4 comments:

Univarn said...

If you're talking strict Pop Culture I'd have to take Eli off the list, outside the dedicated fans Let the Right One In sadly never hit mainstream. If we're talking personal favorite vampires this list would have one hell of a makeover for me... If I had to go off the top of my head.

My top 10:

10. Viktor - Underworld Trilogy
9. Barnabas Collins - Dark Shadows
8. Bill - True Blood
7. Angel - Buffy/Angel
6. Lestat - Interview with the Vampire
5. Eli - Let the Right One in
4. Eric - True Blood
3. Claudia - Interview with the Vampire
2. Count Orlok - Nosferatu
1. Dracula - Any of them (except Blade 3)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, and I haven't seen all of them, but yeah... :)

Suzie Ridler said...

I love that Angel and Spike were way up there still, after all this time. That rocks. Spike will always be my favourite vamp. ;)

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I think they go with Pop culture to incorporate multiple mediums that we see vamps in (Movies, TV and Books), but with TV/Film sometimes I find it hard to distinguish if it's the character, or performance that I enjoy.

Great list Univarn! Viktor from Underworld is definitely one of my faves as well. I like Dracula in Blade 3 (runs and hides).

Ok - what is Dark Shadows? I'm missing some lore here!

Spike is a very special vamp eh Suzie? I think he should get his own category altogether!

Univarn said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows - Dark Shadows vampire/gothic soap opera from the 60's (yes it is as awesome and awful as that sounds). I haven't seen every episode but I've seen quite a few.

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012