Saturday, 23 January 2010

2010 Own/Unseen Challenge


Last year one of the film challenges I set for myself was to see all the unseen films I had around the house be they borrowed or owned. I'm not usually one for purchasing films unseen but they started to pile up so this seemed like the perfect solution. The challenge completely worked and I made my way through the titles by the end of the year. Ironically, throughout the year I ended up acquiring exactly the same number of titles so now I have another 18 films to get through. If it worked once, I've got faith it will work again. So here comes the 2010 Own/Unseen Challenge.

Challenge Status: Over and Incomplete
Films Seen: 11/19

Airport - seen
Airport '77
Airport 1975
Alexander - seen
Babylon A.D. - seen
Cargo 200
Concorde: Airport '79, The
Darkon - seen
Dracula's Daughter - seen
House of Dracula - seen
Miss Julie (1999)
Pathfinder - seen
Punisher: War Zone - seen
S. Darko - seen
Son of Dracula - seen
Titan A.E.
Vinyan - seen

Update at the end of 2010: I sadly only made it though 11 of the 19 titles in my owned/unseen challenge, and I did made a good go of it (albeit it mostly at an end-of-year push), I just couldn't make it through them all. Even though I've continued to accumulated more unseen films throughout the year, doing this challenge really got me thinking strongly about buying films I haven't seen yet. I do plan on working through most of the remaining titles, maybe I'll see them by the end of 2011.


The Mad Hatter said...

I tend to watch everything I buy not long after I buy did you manage to get so backed up?

blake said...

Ugh! I've totally been meaning to do this challenge myself. I probably have 15 movies floating around I haven't managed to see (worst example: I've owned Braveheart for five years, and I've never seen it once).

C. M. Dobson said...

I am of the same opinion as The Mad Hatter. I tend to watch them not long after I get them. However, with so many titles out there I suppose a true movie fan could get behind on current things they need to see, as well as things they need to catch up on.

Recently, I turned my Blog into an official URL. You should come see sometime.

Have a good weekend.

Bob Turnbull said...

Sheesh...Amateurs. B-)

I won't even tell you how many unseen DVDs I have, but let's just say it's bigger than a breadbox.

"Cargo 200" is bleak. Very bleak. There's a couple of truly disturbing scenes as well. Effective though.

"Kwaidan"! You probably already know my affection for this film. Stunning and very influential.

"Transsiberian" and "Vinyan" were both OK for me. Each had moments, but kinda took a long time getting to where they were going.

I remember very little of those Airport movies. Not even sure which ones I've seen (probably the first two). But hey, George Kennedy is along for the ride, so you're good...You'd think after the second one they'd take away his pilot's license, but noooooo. "Here's the keys to the Concorde Captain!"

Jay Clarke said...

Enjoy Transsiberian and Vinyan, I liked them both very much. And Kwaidan! Now there's a blast from the past.

I've got to get around to watching S. Darko as well. Thanks for reminding me!

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Great timing there Bob - I was just about to comment that I think 18 is extremely modest amount of own/unseen!

Two sets of the films are in collections (Airport & Dracula) which account for almost half of the choices, the rest are mostly $5 deals at HMV/Blockbuster etc. I'm pretty frugal so it's usual to accumulate so many but seems to keep happening!

Blake - 5 years ain't that bad, oh wait - have you never never seen it? You gotta get to that one! Epic!

One of the titles is actually still sealed in plastic and is ...VHS...

I'm not entirely sure I'll end up getting to Cargo 200 - haven't heard great things and it sounds very harsh, although I think it popped up on someones best of the year list.

Will be interesting to see how the journey goes!

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

Kwaidan, Vinyan & Darkon are the 2 out of these that I'm really looking forward to in terms of being higher quality... it's funny I almost resisted posting because lots of the films verge of almost-embarrassing-to-admit-I-bought them... which is likely why they are unseen as well!

C. M. Dobson said...

I don't know about amateurs.. but we might have more time on our hands to get movie watching done. lol. The only ones I recall that I didn't have time to watch sometimes were rentals, and I usually end up finding it to watch later anyway. I wasn't putting down your collection habit, Movie Moxie, was just saying I was surprised. lol. The most I've had lying around the house was a few, and that was for a few months at most. Good evening, guys.


filmgeek said...

It's easy to let them build up. You've got to be in a certain mood for some films. I've got a pile of about 20 DVDs I've never seen and I always feel guilty about buying a new one when I haven't seen the others

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I think one of the factors is I get a lot of films from the library - and they have to priority to get seen so I can return them on time so these ones tend to pile up.

Although I'm very surprized that it is this many films! I better get cracking!

All content on Movie Moxie is written by Shannon Ridler, © 2006 - 2012