0:00 - 1:45 Intro
1:45 - 2:45 News
2:45 - 12:30 Hot Docs!
12:30 - 20:00 Water for Elephants Review
20:00 - 24:00 Repeaters Review
24:00 - 28:45 African Cats
28:45 - 40:50 Art House film as a Genre
40:50 - 46:00 DVD Releases for April 26 2011
46:00 - 48:15 Releases for April 29, 2011
48:15 - 49:25 Outro
You can also subscribe to the Movie Moxie Podcast here:
Subscribe through iTunes here.
- I mention being on The Film Bomb Podcast at Fused Film
- See the Hot Docs website for more information about the festival
- Hot Docs overview, reviews of Superheroes, Family Instinct, At Night They Dance and A Simply Rhythm, Imagining Emanuel and The Future is Now!
- I mention previous Hot Doc film Hunting Down Memory / Jakten På Hukommelsen
- Book to Film Club
- Water for Elephants film review and book review
- I mention the amazingness of Elephants in Tony Jaa films, (see The Protector and Ong Bak 3)
- I mention previous films of Carl Bessai: Normal and Unnatural & Accidental
- African Cats review
- DVD releases for April 26, 2011
- DVD releases mentioned: IP Man 2, Dinoshark on DVD and BluRay (DVD Review), The Resident DVD/BluRay Combo (DVD Review), I Love You Phillip Morris (DVD review), Somewhere (DVD Review)
- I mention that the current book to film club selection is One Day by David Nicholls.
Shannon's Art House film definition:
- Films that are off the beaten path, sometimes trying to 'say' something, stylistically rich and the way in which they a story (if there is one) is creative and innovative. What is being said is not as important as how it is as being said. This is one of my favourite genres and when it hits it really hits home but when it misses, oh boy it can be a mess. Experimental, experiential and everything in between.
- I mention the Guy Maddin films: Brand Upon the Brain! and The Saddest Music in the World (see also My Winnipeg)
- Art House Films mentioned: Gerry, Somewhere, Memento, Bubba Ho-Tep, Donnie Darko, In the Mood for Love, Enter the Void, Nashville, Solyaris / Солярис,
Valhalla Rising and Wild Grass / Les Herbes Folles
All Art House Film Reviews
- Art House directors mentioned: Guy Maddin, Gus van Sant, Lars von Trier and Wong Kar Wai