Time for our first year-over-year Book to Film Club experience, with our October 2011 book The Woman in Black by Susan Hill having it's film release this past weekend on February 3, 2012.
The Woman in Black stars Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter series), Ciarán Hinds (The Eclipse) and Janet McTeer, directed by James Watkins (Eden Lake). The scary and atmospheric feel of the film was definitely what I was hoping to see and it was exciting to see Daniel Radcliffe's in a new world in the role of Arthur Kipps.
Here are some things to ponder when thinking, writing and/or journaling about the film:
- Did you enjoy the film?
- Was the film what you expected from reading the book?
- How did you feel about the tone of the film?
- Did you feel that the captured the time period well?
- How did you feel about the casting? Were the characters what you expected?
- Were there characters, moments or ideas you liked better in the book? If so, what were they?
- What was your favourite thing about the book?
- Were there characters, moments or ideas you liked better in the film? If so, what were they?
- What was your favourite thing about the film?
- Was there anything you understood more after seeing the film?
- Was there anything you felt was missing from the film?
- Did the film capture the spirit of the book?
- Who would you recommend the book to?
- Who would you recommend the film too?
- Are you happy you read the book before seeing the film?
- Would you recommend people read the book before seeing the film?
- What was the impact of reading the book before seeing the film?
The Movie Moxie Book to Film Club is going strong again in 2012, and you can join at any time. For title announcements, Book to Film Club news and monthly selections you can sign up for email updates here.